Vortrag von Petra Blaisse auf der internationalen Konferenz Farbe als Experiment
Studio Inside Outside, Amsterdam
Dauer: 57:51 min
Farbe als Experiment
Bergische Universität Wuppertal
25. & 26. September 2014
Forschende Strategien in Handwerk,
Design, Kunst und Wissenschaft
Kooperation des FB – F Design und Kunst mit dem
FB – C Mathematik und Naturwissenschaften
Petra Blaisse started her career in 1978 at the Stedelijk Museum in Amsterdam, in the Department of Applied Arts. 1986 onwards, she worked as freelance exhibition designer and won distinction for her installations of architectural works. Gradually her focus shifted to the use of textiles, light and finishes in interior space and, at the same time, to the design of gardens and landscapes. In 1991, she founded Inside Outside. The studio worked in a multitude of creative areas, including textile, landscape and exhibition design. From 1999 Blaisse invited specialist of various disciplines to work with her and currently the team consists of about ten people of different professions and nationalities. Inside Outside works internationally, on projects of increasing technical sophistication, ambition and scale. Throughout the years, Inside Outside has collaborated with various architects and designers. Blaisse has lectured and taught extensively in Europe, Asia and the United States. Her work has been included in numerous design and architecture exhibits internationally. In 2000 a solo exhibition on Inside Outside’s work was organized at the Storefront for Art and Architecture in Soho, New York, for which Dutch graphic designer Irma Boom created Blaisse’s first publication, the “Movements, 25%” catalogue. The first monograph on the work of Petra Blaisse / Inside Outside designed by Irma Boom, has been published February 2007 by NAi Publishers and was reprinted by The Monacelli Press, a division of Random House Inc. New York, October 2009. A number of public and private buildings in which Inside Outside implemented interior and landscape interventions brought the work of Inside Outside to the attention of a broader public.
Some highlights of interiors and exhibition projects are:
- 1999-2005 Finishes and curtains for the Casa da Música in Porto, Portugal
- 2000-2004 Carpets and interior finishes for the Seattle Central Library, U.S.A..
- 2002-2005 11 curtains and interiors for a Villa Floirac Bordeaux, France
- 2000-2005 Restoration project for the Hackney Empire Theatre in London, UK
- 2004-2007 Curtains for the Haus der kunst in Munich, Germany
- 2007-2011 Auditorium and AAP Forum curtains, Cornell University Ithaca, New York
- 2008-2011 Two curtains for the Chazen Museum of Art in Wisconsin, U.S.A.
- 2009-2011 15 curtains for Dutch army officers’ apartments of the Kromhout Kazerne in Utrecht, NL
- 2009-2011 acoustic and view filtering curtain for the lobby of Rothschild Bank in London, UK
- 2010-2011 Exhibition “Snapshot”, designed for the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam, NL
- 2011-2012 Revisit of 8 curtains and 2 carpets in Villa Floirac in Bordeaux, France
- 2011-2013 5 curtains and carpets in a private house in Oslo, Norway
- 2011-2012 „We designed for the recently reopened Stedelijk Museum in Amsterdam: “Damast”, a 200 m² tapestry developed in collaboration with carpet manufacturer Desso for which we won the Brabantse Design and Develop award, 2012.“
- 2011-2012 „Representative of The Netherlands at the 13th Architecture Biennale in Venice (2012) with our installation “RE-SET, new wings for architecture “
Some highlights of Landscape projects are:
- 2000-2004 Gardens for the Seattle Central Library
- 2000-2005 Landscape for Villa Floirac in Bordeaux, France
- 2004-ongoing ‘Giardini di Porta Nuova’ landscape competition for which Inside Outside and a multidisciplinary team won the first prize with their entry ‘Biblioteca degli Alberi’ in 2004. The new urban park for the center of Milan, will begin construction in 2013.
- 2006 Landscape master plan for the transformation of a former waterfront in Riga, Lativia
- 2010-ongoing Landscape design for the Taipei Performing Arts Center (Taiwan) is expected to start this year 2011 Landscape master plan competition (together with OMA) for the West Kowloon Cultural District in Hong Kong for which we were runners up
- 2011-ongoing Landscape for the Roeterseiland Campus of the University of Amsterdam,NL
- 2011-ongoing Design of gardens for office headquarters in Beijing, China
- 2011-2013 Landscape master Plan for Lexington city in Kentucky
- 2011-ongoing Landscape design for the Walker Art Center in collaboration with Ai Wei Wei, Minneapolis, USA
- 2014: The landscape design of the CCTV building in Beijing (China); the gardens for the Shenzhen Stock Exchange (China); the two garden designs in Doha, Qatar; the first part of the UVA-campus Roeterseiland Amsterdam and the first part of the Public park Giardini die Ponta Nuova in Milano, IT.
Studio Inside Outside, Amsterdam